How To Write an Expository Essay
Table of Contents
- 1 Writing an Expository Essay
- 2 How to start writing an expository essay
- 3 How to write an outline
- 4 How to write a thesis for an expository essay
- 5 How to write an introduction
- 6 How to write body paragraphs
- 7 How to finish an expository essay
- 8 Expository essay example
Writing an Expository Essay
How to start writing an expository essay
As already stated before, understanding what your essay entails is the first step towards writing a good essay. This will not only help you come up with ideas for your paper but also to have a systematic flow. When writing an expository essay, it is important to note that what you are trying to expose has enough evidence to support it and that you are able to convince your readers.
To start writing an expository essay, consider the following tips:
- Select a topic: This is the first step of starting any essay. Pick a topic which you are familiar with and which is easy to write about.
- Do research: Conduct ample research about your topic in order to come up with the facts you want to state. Additionally, you will be able to get evidence to support your facts.
- Have an effective thesis statement: A thesis statement will enable your audience to know what your paper is about.
- Have a clear outline: With a clear outline, your essay will be easy to write and your ideas will flow systematically.
How to write an outline
To write the outline for an expository essay, your facts and concepts ought to be clearly and precisely detailed. Creating an outline is vital since it eases the writing process. An outline enables you to have a clear expository essay structure. Below is an example of how you can create a clear and precise outline of an expository essay example.
Topic: What are the positive and negative aspects of materialism?
- Briefly explain what materialism is.
- Materialism has an effect on the state of our economy which ought to be addressed with immediate effect.
- Resources are exploited when people are materialistic.
- Materialism is socially and self-destructive.
- Restate the thesis statement.
- Summarize your article stating your main points.
How to write a thesis for an expository essay
A thesis statement is essential in writing an expository essay. Its main goal is to help your audience know what you are talking about. A thesis helps to bring the rest of your essay together. In order to come up with a thesis statement, you ought to understand your topic.
Tips on how to write a thesis statement
- Pick a topic. This will enable you to come up with a thesis statement to state clearly the main point of your paper.
- Have a clear and brief thesis statement. This enables your readers to know precisely what you are talking about in your essay.
- Avoid prolonged thesis statements. This will make it hard for your audience to comprehend what you are talking about thus they will lose interest in reading your paper.
How to write an introduction
The introduction of an expository essay is essential. It not only introduces your audience but also familiarizes them with your paper. To write an introduction to an expository essay, start it with a strong hook which will capture the attention of your audience.
How to write body paragraphs
The body paragraph of an expository essay builds up the thesis statement and fully expounds on your topic throughout your essay.
Tips on body writing
The body of an essay provides a detailed description of your points. To learn how to write the body of an expository essay, consider the following tips:
- Begin each paragraph with a clear and direct topic sentence. This enables your audience to understand what you are stating and the evidence supporting it.
- Have precise and well-explained paragraphs. This helps to present your points clearly.
- Use transition sentences. This makes your essay flow as well as maintain a certain rhythm.
- Have clear and brief sentence structures. Long sentences make your essay boring to read. Be brief about what you are trying to convey.
- Use examples as evidence to show support for your points.
How to finish an expository essay
The conclusion of an essay is vital in that it shows that you have come to the end of your paper. This is where you summarize your article and restate the main points. The conclusion ought to show your audience the emphasis of your essay.
Tips on conclusion writing
To learn how to conclude an expository essay, put the following tips into consideration:
- Restate your thesis statement.
- Summarize your article clearly stating the main points.
- Conclude with a statement which shows the emphasis of your article.
Tips on revision
Revision is necessary for essay writing in order to forward quality work. Your article is considered outstanding when you go through it and correct errors. Below are some tips which will help you revise your paper:
- Re-read your article with the aim of correcting any grammatical errors after you have finished writing.
- Ensure that your points are well-cited.
- Ask a friend to read your paper and objectively identify any mistakes you could have left in your paper.
In conclusion, the essence of an expository essay is to expose facts. However, it is essential to note and understand that your personal opinions do not matter when it comes to writing an expository essay. We hope that this article will be of great assistance to you.
Expository essay example
Materialism is one’s attitude to attach a lot of importance to monetary value. Being materialistic in nature makes one value money more than anything else. Acquiring wealth matters most to you that you do not even consider other things which are of benefit to the society such as voluntary work or charity work. Additionally, you do not associate yourself with any activity that does not bring you any money. Majorly, it has a drastic effect on the state of our economy. However, it is essential to also understand that a materialistic society could also have positive effects, and this essay seeks to provide a detailed analysis of the advantages and disadvantages of materialism.
Materialism results to lack of peace in the society. Each individual views being wealthy as an accomplishment one has to realize. This can cause a rift between you and the public or among members of the public themselves hence sharing anything might be difficult. Therefore, selfishness becomes prevalent. Additionally, the rivalry may erupt due to materialism.
The state of the economy goes down due to people being materialistic in nature. Every individual values the significance of being wealthy hence ignoring the methods or techniques used to acquire that money. People ignore values such as honesty and the essence of hard work. Money takes control of people, and everyone assumes they need to get rich or for others die trying. The state of the economy can also be negatively impacted as people seem not to care about their actions and businesses could even employ unfair tactics which could lead to an economy full of monopolies.
However, materialism also has positive effects on the economy. For example, it brings about stiff competition in the economy. While every individual is after the affluence of their businesses, the economic sector of a country seeks to expand since much is gained due to the competition in the thriving of a business. Additionally, the government earns foreign exchange as a result of the competition of businessmen and women seeking to market their products internationally.
Envy, jealousy, depression, and anxiety are all as a result of materialism in the society. The impatience which comes along with being materialistic can indeed lead to an anxious society. The eagerness or enthusiasm of acquiring anything of monetary value makes people unsettled. For example, when a deal goes sour, one can become depressed or end up looking miserable while others can take drastic actions like committing suicides, etc. Additionally, envy can easily become a part of you since everyone wishes to be as wealthy as the likes of Bill Gates and Bloomberg. You may even find it hard trying to associate yourself with other people because you view them as your competitors. This ultimately creates a rift in the society because everyone is for themselves and well, God for us all.
However, you can choose to work hard and strive to meet your objectives regardless of the amount of time taken. Using short tactics or mischievous methods to acquire wealth only works to erode the values that holds the society together. Therefore, ensure you remain yourself and pursue your goals using traditional and honest means.