How to Write a Research Paper on Global Warming
Table of Contents
- 1 How to start a research paper on global warming
- 2 How to write body paragraphs for a research paper on global warming
- 3 How to finish a research paper on global warming
Edited on April 2021
How to start a research paper on global warming
Writing a research paper on global warming is not an easy task. It involves gathering specific scientific data over a long period of time in order to have the necessary facts for proving the impacts and effects of climate change. Global warming is not observable in only short amounts of time. This is why making a research paper on global warming involves the gathering of evidence from history and past events that were involved in the general climate of an environment.
Tips on how to start
- Gather scientific evidence of global warming by sifting through environmental
research is done in the past.
- Look for facts pointing to the statement that you want to present.
- Make sure that you have a focus on a study so that you will be precise and concise on your point.
- Create an outline so you will be able to follow a structure for your research paper.
- Use online and offline sources as global warming statistics are available upon only the existing records.
Example of an outline
In creating an outline, you need to prepare concise and simple information. It should be flexible enough to accommodate your points of comparison and research facts. The structure of your outline should be solid enough to emphasize your statement and give the reader the proper material for gaining comprehension of your chosen topic.
I. FIRST MAIN TOPIC/STATEMENT
a. EXAMPLE OR INTERESTING FACT ABOUT FIRST MAIN TOPIC/STATEMENT
b. SUPPORTING RESEARCH
II. SECOND MAIN TOPIC/STATEMENT
a. EXAMPLE OR INTERESTING FACT ABOUT SECOND MAIN TOPIC/STATEMENT
b. SUPPORTING RESEARCH
III. THIRD MAIN TOPIC/STATEMENT
a. EXAMPLE OR INTERESTING FACT ABOUT THIRD MAIN TOPIC/STATEMENT
b. SUPPORTING RESEARCH
A good example of how an outline can be organized is this one.
I. Throughout our past, evidence of global warming due to human activity has slowly emerged and now, it is a crisis that is openly known to the public but ways of battling it successfully are yet to emerge.
1. The natural greenhouse effect of the planet has a natural rhythm and balance, however, human activity has caused subtle to major effects on our atmosphere.
2. There are changes in weather patterns causing different types of weather anomalies (e.g. wild hurricanes, long droughts).
3. The trend of global temperatures increasing.
II. The reasons that are fast-tracking the impacts and effects of global warming are related to the growth of the human population and the increased need for:
1. Fossil fuels for energy
2. Land for shelters, cities, and other forms of settlements.
3. Manufactured and processed foods
III. The consequences of our environment-destructive human activities have caused global warming to be felt throughout the world.
1. Sea levels are rising globally, putting major coastal human settlements to great risks.
2. The ice is melting in the Arctic regions of the world due to the warming of the entire globe
(a) Concerns of flooding in human-populated areas
(b) Decreased land to settle on
3. Crops are being affected also by global warming
(a) there is less land present to be farmed on
4. Flatlands are drying up
5. Unnatural weather anomalies are destroying crops.
IV. There are methods in which people can choose to help to slow down climate change.
1. Find alternative forms and sources of energy
2. Conserve the use of fossil fuels and create renewable sources of electricity
3. Utilize recyclable products
4. Planting of trees and plants to help restore the status of the atmosphere
Example of a thesis
The thesis statement of the paper is like a concise and simple form of presenting your main idea. The introduction gives the reader a general idea of what they are going to read in the paper. As such, it goes at the beginning of your paper; below is a possible example:
Global warming is an issue that is currently faced by the entire planet, and humanity needs to consciously tackle it in order to save the species and the planet from destruction.
This thesis statement properly delivers a pair of ideas that will be the focus of the research. The first statement implies location, while the second implies an act or a methodology to how you are going to work in your research.
Example of a global warming research paper introduction
With your thesis statement, you can now provide general knowledge and a description of the facts that you will be presenting. The introduction should radiate a welcoming vibe to it in order to attract the reader’s attention.
Here is an example:
Global warming is an issue that is currently faced by the entire planet, and humanity needs to consciously tackle it in order to save the species and the planet from destruction. Global warming, which is also called the greenhouse effect, is a subject that has acquired much attention among media and government institutions in recent years. However, many among the population are not aware of climate changes as an impactful event in our modern times. Global warming has impacted many livelihoods of people living in different areas and its effects are accelerating due to human activities that contribute to global climate change. The growth of the population has its demands and increased use of fossil fuels means of manufacturing and processing. All of these are factors in increased emissions into the atmosphere which in turn
increases global warming.
It is advisable to wait until you have finished the body of your essay before finalizing your introduction or thesis statement.
How to write body paragraphs for a research paper on global warming
Writing body paragraphs of your research paper should involve arduous research and gathering of data. After all, global warming is a topic that is greatly understood through science and its hard-earned facts and statistics. Gathering info should involve the use of local material and internet resources. It is good when writing a research paper to widen the scope of your study in order to provide the reader a comprehensive presentation of your data. Widening your perspective helps the reader understand your main thesis but try not to lose track of the focus of your research paper.
Tips on body writing
- First, decide what kind of information you absolutely want to include in your perfect essay. These topics are the main pillars of your essay.
- For each of these main pillars, you need supporting research and evidence to hold them up; so for each topic, you need to have at least one source that backs your assertions.
- The contents of the body should be supported in the conclusion.
- Do not forget to make your composition logically organized.
- Make use of credible research resources and choose relevant facts.
Example of the 1st body paragraph
The reasons that are fast-tracking the impacts and effects of global warming are related to
the growth of the human population and the increased need for resources and modes of production that are harmful to the atmosphere and the general environment. Human beings harness fossil fuels for energy which greatly increases the number of carbon emissions that cause the greenhouse effect. The utilization of Land for shelters, cities, and other forms of settlements decreases the land that is supposed to harbor plants and trees that are supposed to balance the state of the air and thus promoting the balance within the atmosphere. Modern manufacturing methods and the demand for processed foods also increase the rate of global warming due to the un-environment friendly modes of its mass production.
Example of the 2nd body paragraph
The consequences of our environment-destructive human activities have caused global warming to be felt throughout the world. Sea levels are rising globally, putting major coastal human settlements at great risks. The ice is melting in the Arctic regions of the world due to the warming of the entire globe which makes way for concerns of flooding in human-populated areas, decreased land to settle on and food supplies through crops are being affected also by global warming. There is less land present to be farmed on due to the fact that flatlands are drying up and unnatural weather anomalies are destroying crops like the tropical storms that rage on the Southeastern parts of Asia such as the Philippines and Indonesia.
Example of the 3rd body paragraph
However, all hope is not lost. There are methods in which people can choose to help to slow down climate change. The human population can find alternative forms and sources of energy. They can limit conserve and limit the use of fossil fuels and create renewable sources of electricity. The general population can be taught to utilize recyclable products. The planting of trees and plants also helps restore the status of the atmosphere and the overall well-being of the planet.
How to finish a research paper on global warming
The conclusion should act along the line of summing up everything you have already told your readers. It’s a good idea to touch base briefly on all of your main pillars once more before you finish; this is the place to do that. You can also include a message or an inspiration to the reader and a recommendation for what to do with the research. Remember that all the samples that are here in this article are only examples and convey a basic structure or a plain base for your global warming research paper.
Tips on conclusion writing
- Briefly restate the main points that you have touched on in your paper.
- Make sure that your conclusion is in line with your thesis statement.
- Use the facts and data that you have to conclude something which will be meaningful to the reader.
- Connect the components of your research and provide the knowledge as to why it is relevant.
- Don’t forget to provide a recommendation or a practical idea that will help your reader not
only gain but also digest the message or findings of your global warming research paper.
Example of a conclusion
The impacts and effects of climate changes have altered many lives and continue to degrade the status of the planet; many lives have been lost and there is a risk to all existing life in the present. It also has a large negative impact on the economy. However, all hope is not lost. There are methods in which people can choose to help to slow down climate change. The human population can find alternative forms and sources of energy. They can limit conserve and limit the use of fossil fuels and create renewable sources of electricity. The general population can be taught to utilize recyclable products. Planting trees and plants also helps restore the status of the atmosphere and the overall well-being of the planet.
Tips on research paper revision
- Follow what the teacher wants, you only need to please their perspective.
- Simultaneously, include in your paper what you truly want to express through the research material you have acquired.
- You have to integrate the research paper with the format that your instructor is asking for.
- Always follow the recommendations of your teacher as they are knowledgeable about how to improve your writing.