Table of Contents
Narrative Essay 101
Out of all the essay types, narrative essay writing is one of the most common and misunderstood types of writing in schools and colleges. It consists of five paragraphs with three distinct sections, opening, body, and closing or conclusion.
Instructors check students’ writing and thinking capabilities by providing diverse essay writing topics to them. In case they are not offered one, they need to work on one and come up with ideas for a narrative story.
Choosing The Best Topic For Your Essay
If you have never written a narrative essay, it could be a hassle to come up with narrative story ideas. But, it is not that hard if you know what you need to find and hone it to your best interest.
Something That Resonates With Readers
The primary purpose of writing a narrative is to connect with readers. Writers need to weave a narrative that readers can understand and identify with and then draw conclusions from the body.
If a narrative essay does not do that, it is lacking in important areas.
Influential Life Stories & Experiences
Personal narrative essays are dependent on personal experiences and incidents that can influence a person’s thinking or the course of life. For the sake of composing a topic or title, they need to go down memory lane and fetch stories and ideas to write on.
Narrative Essay Topics To Choose From
Now, let us take a look at some of the best topics for narratives to choose from:
- The unforgettable mentor in your life
- A dangerous experience that made you value life
- A hilarious situation happened to you in public
- A moving incident from your childhood
- The first time you visited a country abroad
- The unforgettable day at high school
- The time you lost a dear friend to the disease
- Journey of learning a new art or skill
- An embarrassing story involving you and your best friend
- Participating in sports for the first time
- Your thoughts on attending a music concert for the first time
- The time you helped a person in dire need
- When you discovered a family secret
- When you lost the most loving member of your family
- Changes happened to you after taking an inspirational class
- The moment you felt alone in a crowd
- The time you got lost and there was no hope
- The incident of saving someone in the wilderness
- The time you cooked a meal using scrapes
- Your favorite vacations with loved ones abroad
- An unforgettable trip to tropical islands
- Making friends in the unlikeliest times
- Your first day at a new school and meeting someone new
- The scariest thing you faced in life
- The time Christmas was absolute fun
- Your most memorable birthday party
- When you learned a life lesson the hard way
- Getting a blessing in disguise
- The best day of your entire life
- The day a tragedy found you
- Getting your first pet
- Meeting your best friend
- Losing a dear one
- The day you helped a stranger and became friends
- Talk about responding to a natural disaster
- Visiting dean’s office after a mischief
- Going to the summer camp with friends
- When you rode a bicycle in the dirt for the first time
- The most depressing moments of your life
- Getting into a serious argument with a loved one
- The day you were treated unfairly
- The day you went for a ski for the first time
- Helping a stranger in a new city
- The time you faced racial discrimination
- When you misjudged a person and felt ashamed
- The most memorable day playing at the beach
- The most unforgettable present you ever received
- The day you got injured severely
- The beginning of a long relationship
- Parting ways with a loved one
- Driving a car for the first time
- The first time you experienced flying
- Meeting a stranger in a subway
- The incident that made an ordinary trip extraordinarily
- Getting punished for an offense you didn’t commit
- The time you discovered a truth about someone
- The day you almost drowned at the beach
- Learning a life lesson from an elder
- Seeing a car accident and helping the injured
- The favorite hiking episode of your life
Exceptional Narrative Ideas & Topics
In this section, we will go through some of the best narrative essay ideas and topics that you can explore in your narrative essays.
60+ Excellent Topics For Your Narrative Essay
If the above-mentioned suggestions were not enough for you, there is no need to panic as we have 60+ more essay topic ideas for you to choose from.
- Experiencing unique family traditions as an adult
- How do you celebrate your cultural holiday
- How a family tradition surprised you
- How knowing diverse cultures shaped your thinking
- Feeling embarrassed among other cultures on holiday
- Changing cultural traditions to grow
- How social media changed your cultural perceptions
- Why food is not just something you eat
- How a culture changes a person\’s thinking
- Defining your cultural identity from early childhood
- The time you disagreed with a loved one
- The conflict that almost cost you your friendship
- When you had to deal with bullying aggressively
- Experiencing a loss through suicide
- The graduation day at high school
- The day a classmate got caught cheating
- Living through a near-death experience due to medical negligence
- Meeting a car accident on New Year
- The day you endured humiliation
- The most memorable act of charity
- Saving your friends from a loss
- Witnessing a beating in the school\’s yard
- A dilemma you faced and made the right decision
- The most influential person in your life you hate
- The time a friend flooded your home
- When you want the time to stop
- Failing an easy class for the first time
- The scariest moment in class
- The time you got sick because of food poisoning
- When you saved a friend’s life
- The time you went into a creepy house
- Winning a prize without the effort
- The first job you loved and hated at the same time
- Getting a flat tire on the highway at night
- The things I want to do in my spare time
- Visiting the ER for the first time
- The day you encountered the police
- When parties didn’t need alcohol to be fun
- The first time you endured physical and emotional pain
- The superhero in your life
- The childhood dream you still remember and want to live
- Living through dull high school before everything changed
- When you saw someone getting humiliated in public
- Finding time for hobbies in high school
- The experience of growing up with a high school best friend
- The greatest academic achievement of your life
- The school friend you lost touch with
- The conversation that changed your life for good
- When you learned a lot by working with a person you despised
- The good influence your father had on your thinking
- The time you moved to a new city and made a friend on the first day
- Doing something illegal for all the right reasons
- The dichotomy of morals in theory and practice
- The day you did a thing that is against your morality
- Spending time with a homeless person on Christmas
- The time you favored hobbies over responsibilities
- How you developed your talents
- The idea of turning your hobbies into something lucrative
- When your hobbies managed to get you a job
- Balancing hobbies and studies in high school
- The most inspirational movie you have ever seen
- Getting addicted to a novel or a movie
- Growing from the mistakes to becoming great
- The day you were moved from the most insignificant thing
- When becoming only good for something did not cut it
- The day it was almost impossible to pass the college exam
- What is the real meaning of attending college and making good
- What would you do if you had your reality show?
- If you could travel back in time, what would you change?
- Choosing a superpower and why that one
Common Types of Topics
There are recurring themes and settings in ideas for writing a narrative. These include recalling memorable incidents, and experiences, such as losing or meeting someone, visiting a place, getting in trouble, etc.
The Ideal Length of Topics
Usually, all school and college personal narrative essay ideas follow the same pattern and fall into the five-paragraph format. This means, that one is for the introduction, three for the body, and one for the conclusion.
In terms of word count, the essays are around 1000 words to 1500 words.
Narrative Essay Topics For School & College Students
If you are thinking the lists for narrative essay topics will not stop coming, you are right. So, here are more than 40 best narrative essay topics.
- If you were a movie director with no budget constraints
- Topping your most successful album as a musician
- A memorable day at the museum
- The first road trip of your life
- Visiting Europe for the first time
- Tasting exotic cuisine in a new city
- Enjoying live music of your favorite band
- What would you change about your favorite movie?
- How would you rewrite your favorite TV serial?
- Finding similarities between your favorite DC and Marvel characters
- Developing your dream game
- Making music to cheer up sad people
- Reasons people rely on you in times of distress
- Why you are the life of the party
- Why the lies that save lives are not bad
- Your dream sports team
- Mentoring cooking to young people
- Buying the first car of your life
- The worst day of your academic life
- When you dance at a part even though you don’t know
- How to relieve stress during public speaking
- Your ultimate guide to watching movies and reading books
- Weird things you have done while waiting in line
- If you had a billion dollars for a week
- Realizing dreams through sheer luck or hard work
- A bad romantic relationship that still haunts you
- Almost dying while attempting to do something stupid
- Balancing social and personal life in high school
- The unforgettable digital life experience
- The day science rescued you from a dangerous situation
- Starring in your favorite movie as a protagonist
- The day a random person on a street became a friend
- When you decided that partying was a problem
- Your first experience with smoking and how you felt afterward
- Patience while waiting for someone
- Mastering self-control when you cannot have your say
- Your leadership experience and how it turned out
- What was your life be like if you had lost your parents earlier in life
- Compounding the demon during competitions
- Taking more risks in a group
- Personal superstitions and how you can save yourself
- All the pranks you have pulled on your friends
- Discuss all the false things that people assume about you
- Being a daredevil in a small community
- Discuss people who are always disrespectful toward women
- Do women face pressure to have ideal bodies?
- Gender roles in your family/ culture
- The first time you encountered adult content online
- How to teach sex education at schools
- How do you do sex education and gender studies at schools?
- Expectations for boys and girls in conservative households
- Sexuality and modern movies
- How sexuality is revolutionizing modern TV
- Any gender bias experience at school or college
- Rehearsing for a drama in school with your crush
- The time you lost a sports match against arch-rivals
- Topping a class in college without studying at all
- The craziest thing happened during live sports
- Your favorite course of studies becoming bland
- The most memorable day on campus
- Seeing an old friend after many years
- When you were coerced by your family to make a poor decision
- Growing up in a city after being born in the countryside
- Your first promotion at a part-time job
- The festival you still miss
- The most spectacular thing about college
- The time you got sea-sick
- A defining moment in your relationship with your parents
- The best thing about rom-coms
- How do you fix a broken relationship with a friend
What are 3 good topics for a narrative essay?
It is hard to pinpoint only three good topics for narrative essays. But if you turn topics into ideas, then these three suggestions can work in countless ways:
- Meeting someone special for the first time
- Visiting a familiar place but under special circumstances
- Losing a loved one and then getting back
What are examples of a narrative essay?
There are many examples that you can read and learn from for narrative essays. Ann Lamott, Joan Didion, and many other authors have penned exceptional essays.
What is a good example of a narrative?
A good narrative has strong plot lines, believable characters, a relatable setting, and a piercing theme that lets readers yearn for more.
What are the 5 types of essays?
These are the five most common types of essays:
What is the best topic for students?
Depending on their level of studies and experience in writing narratives, the best topic for narrative writing is the new experiences of meeting someone or doing a novel thing for the first time.
What is the most common essay topic?
These days, topics for narrative writing are about the effects of the internet and social media as well as environmental crisis are some of the most common essay topics.
Writing a narrative essay can be a tough task for school and college students. This blog post has listed some of the good narrative essay topics to base your narrative. You can base your story on these topics or you can experiment and come up with unique ideas.
In the end, it is about weaving a relatable narrative to make sure that your story connects with the readers and they can draw parallels from it.