How to Write an Advertisement Critique Essay
Table of Contents
- 1 Writing an Advertisement Critique Essay
- 2 What is an advertisement critique essay?
- 3 How to start an advertisement analysis: Tips on how to start
- 4 How to write an outline
- 5 How to write a thesis for an advertisement critique essay
- 6 How to write an introduction
- 7 How to write body paragraphs
- 8 How to finish an advertisement critique essay
- 9 Advertisement analysis revision: Tips on revision
- 10 Advertisement critique essay sample
Writing an Advertisement Critique Essay
What is an advertisement critique essay?
The above information is essential for an essay writer to develop their advertisement analysis. However, one should, first of all, understand what an advertising analysis is as well as its main features.
An advertising critique essay can be described as a paper whose aim is to deeply examine an ad and provide a comprehensive analysis of the same. Its features are not different to that of other essays because it will have an introduction with a thesis statement, a body with several topic sentences, and finally a conclusion. However, you need to ensure your writing focuses solely on the ad and that you provide your verdict on the ad.
How to start an advertisement analysis: Tips on how to start
Every accomplished writer will tell you that starting an essay is the most difficult stage. The start will always present you with some challenges. However, as you keep writing, you grow as a writer and your increased experience will help handle and tackle any kind of paper.
To start an advertisement analysis, consider the following tips:
- Choose an ad you understand and like to write on.
- Ensure you are familiar with the product being advertised.
- Vaguely describe the ad.
- Look at the ad keenly and note everything you find interesting or that captures your attention.
- Develop an argument you wish to express in your paper.
- Develop an outline.
How to write an outline
An outline is simply a map or a prototype of your paper. It should encompass your main ideas as well as anything you wish to have in your paper. It should also be structured into an introduction, a body, and a conclusion. This is essential because it helps you define the information that goes into each segment. Make your outline brief but thorough. This will help to make your work easier because you will simply be filling up data or information. Separate your points and make sure each stands on its own.
How to write a thesis for an advertisement critique essay
As already stated, you cannot write about an ad you do not understand. Therefore, first know what a thesis statement is and what it does before you get to how to write it. A brief explanation is as follows: a thesis statement is a statement carrying your main argument or the point you wish to express to your audience.
The basic things you need to understand here include:
- Make it brief and clear.
- Ensure it is detailed enough to communicate your main point or argument.
How to write an introduction
An introduction is the most important part of your paper. It not only draws the attention of your readers but also ensures they are interested enough to read the entire article. You, therefore, need to ensure it is as interesting as possible. You should also make it brief but detailed enough to capture and communicate your main argument. The above simply means you need to include your thesis statement.
Tips on how to write an introduction and thesis
To better explain what the above section is communicating, consider the following tips:
- Start with a hook. A hook’s aim is to capture the attention of your audience; it is always the first or second sentence.
- Provide a general summary of the ad. This includes the company, the product, etc.
- Include your thesis statement in your introduction.
How to write body paragraphs
Body paragraphs mainly build on your thesis statement. They help to expound your argument further by using other smaller arguments. While writing the body paragraphs, you need to ensure that each paragraph begins with a topic sentence. Topic sentences are then followed by supporting sentences which simply provide support or evidence to your topic sentences.
Tips on body writing
- Use topic sentences to start your paragraphs.
- Typically the body should be 3-5 paragraphs long unless stated otherwise.
- Cite any information you include and that is not your original idea.
- Mention or indicate the ad’s targeted audience.
- Mention some of the strategies used in the ad to make it more appealing to the audience.
- Provide the textual strategies used in the ad.
How to finish an advertisement critique essay
In the conclusion, you need to recap or provide a summary of your paper including the arguments used in your paper. You also need to have a restatement of your thesis statement. The finishing of a paper is indeed important. You need to make it memorable and in a way that will be difficult for your audience to forget.
Tips on conclusion writing
For an advertisement critique essay, you need to consider the following tips as you write your conclusion:
- Recap your article by providing a small summary of your writing.
- Restate your thesis statement.
- Provide recommendations on how the ad could be improved.
- Discuss implications of the ad on the cultural, political, social aspects of the society.
Advertisement analysis revision: Tips on revision
Revising your articles should be an important and mandatory step as a writer. Revising means re-reading your article and correcting any mistakes you find in your essay.
While revising your paper consider the following tips:
- Use online grammar checkers to help you correct some of the punctuation and grammatical errors.
- Give a trusted friend or family member your article to read and to offer genuine feedback.
- Cite any piece of information which is not original.
Advertisement critique essay sample
Coca-Cola is by far the most profitable soft drinks company. The company is not only adaptive but also keeps reinventing itself which makes it more adorable and gives the customers little chance of ignoring their products. Their new advert dubbed Taste the Feeling is indeed reminiscent of the company’s prowess in ensuring that clients keep buying their products. The ad is not only appealing but also prompts one to go get a Coca-Cola bottle. The Taste the Feeling ad not only and successfully unites all of the company’s products but also helps to showcase why the company is where it is.
First of all, the ad is simple and is also fitted with appropriate captions which seek to explain every moment that could be spent with an ice-cold Coke. The audience is obviously the young consumers or the millennials whose lifestyle could accommodate the taste of Coca-Cola. It is also fair to say that the ad does achieve its purpose and goes ahead and uses characters whose lifestyle is reminiscent of the target audience.
Secondly, the ad appeals to the emotions of everyone who is watching by including a series of emotionally charged moments. In all these moments, the ad shows a coke being enjoyed thus helping to calm the characters’ nerves down or to simply help them enjoy the moment more. Here, the company was trying to make secure its position as the leader in the soft drinks industry. Additionally, one can say that the company was also trying to endear itself to the customers even more.
Thirdly, the message was also clear and one could sense the pleasure of drinking Coca-Cola. The goal was trying to show how the drink makes moments special and more even more nostalgic. By using this mode or direction of advertising, it is possible to get or to grasp the attention of viewers. Everyone will simply be wishing for the specialness of having an ice-cold Coca-Cola bottle whenever they are having or thinking of special moments.
In conclusion, it is difficult to get a negative aspect of the ad. It not only captures one attention but also unites the products of the company. The theme which is simple and catchy is also something that is unforgettable and therefore, helps to make it more appealing. It is indeed difficult to beat this particular ad and other companies ought to be aware.